Good Morning!

September 17, 2013

Today was the first day back to work after a long break. Even though I've been out of school for five years, each fall when I return back to work, it still feels like the beginning of a school year.

With a regular schedule now, this means I can't be leisurely about making breakfast anymore, as I have been for almost two months now. And usually at the hour I made breakfast, it could no longer be called breakfast. So now I turn to a hearty breakfast that's ready in no time. (A quick breakfast is necessary since I am so not a morning person).
my favorite: sweet potato hash (too time consuming to make)
I introduced Steel Cut Oats to two of my friends this year. They loved it and I hope you will too. What I love about them is that you can make them the night before and then they're ready for you in the morning. One batch will last me for a whole work week. (I just read that steel cut oats are what rolled oats look like before they are...rolled. Fascinating!)
Since steel cut oats are thicker than rolled, they need a longer cooking time. Instead of waiting a half hour in the morning for them to cook, use the overnight cooking method.
Then add some milk, dried fruit, a little brown sugar and nuts and you're ready to go. This oatmeal is super tasty (I like the nutty flavor of the oats). Now if only I could have my sweet potato hash ready for me when I wake up...
craisin smiley face: optional
How to Make Steel Cut Oats Overnight: makes 3-5 servings from the Kitchn
Ingredients:
a little bit of butter
1 cup of steel cut oats
dash of salt
3 cups of water
splash of milk
dried fruit (craisins, blueberries, etc)
a tsp of brown sugar/syrup/honey
dash of cinnamon
slivered/chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc)
Directions:
1. Heat pot and add butter. Add steel cut oats to toast for a couple minutes or until smells toasty.
2. Add water to pot and a dash of salt, bring to a boil and then turn off heat.
3. In the morning, pour desired amount into bowl, add some milk to thin it out and reheat in microwave for 1-2 minutes (or can do reheat in a small saucepan on the stove).
4. Add dried fruit, brown sugar/honey/syrup, cinnamon, nuts, etc and enjoy.
5. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat for other mornings.
Happy Mornings!

Post a Comment