Java's Vinaigrette

July 13, 2013

For those of you unfamiliar with Downtown Rochester, New York, Java's Cafe is a local favorite amongst nearby college students, hipsters and caffeine addicts. Since it was right next to school, it was so convenient to grab a quick coffee, health cookie or a cheap but always delicious sandwich. No sandwich was complete without its addicting and oh-so-necessary mustard vinaigrette: a lil tangy, a lil sweet and definitely something you would be sad to see disappear before you've finished your sandwich (but you could always ask for more).
located at: 16 Gibbs Street, Downtown Rochester, New York
A few years ago, a friend and former classmate posted on Facebook how he and his boyfriend had gotten a hold of the Java's Vinaigrette recipe. I immediately messaged him to get my hands on it. And ever since then, I make a batch of it for my "healthy" salads all the time. So thanks, Nik. You've forever made me a happy girl!
This vinaigrette is multi-purpose. I use it on sandwiches, salads, salmon, pasta salads, etc. It's topped most frequently on a spinach salad that has:

  • hard-boiled egg
  • chopped green onion
  • sliced almonds
  • blue cheese
  • dried cranberry
  • avocado
  • pears/apple
  • broccoli
Nik has been so gracious to let me pass along this recipe to you. Here it is, fellow ESM students!
Java's Mustard Vinagrette
Ingredients:
1 tbs honey (or sugar)
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tbs Gulden's Mustard (or any other dijon mustard)
3 tbs canola oil
1 tbs olive oil
Dash of Salt
1-3 tbs of water
Directions:
1. Combine honey, balsamic vinegar and mustard together.
2. Combine canola oil and olive oil together (separately from other ingredients).
3. Slowly drizzle in oils to mustard and whisk together.
4. Slowly add water until you reach desired consistency (thin it outs).
(Nik also recommends adding minced shallot or dried/fresh herbs).

I usually take an old bottle and store my extra vinaigrette in the fridge for easy access. Definitely is enough to dress about 6 one-serving salads.

2 comments

  1. Thank you!!! I’m from the Rochester area and went to Eastman, but haven’t lived there in years. I have been making copycats of the Dark Horse sandwich, but was really missing the dressing... so today I did a quick Google search, just in case someone had published a recipe! This is PERFECT, and I feel like I’m sitting in Java’s again! :) -Kayleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayleen, I'm so glad I could help you relive the goodness of Java's! This message made my day, thanks!

      Delete