A Patriotic Bundt

July 6, 2012

For America's birthday, I unintentionally baked a very patriotic-looking bundt. A few weeks ago, a summer berry bundt recipe was posted on one of my favorite food blogs, smitten kitchen. After a nudge from the sistas, I decided that a 4th of July BBQ was the perfect occasion to bake it. 
The recipe suggested using any type of berries but modeled the bundt with raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. I followed suit and found myself baking a very red, white and blue cake! 

It was a perfect blend of tart and sweet and citrusy (from the lemon icing and zest in the cake). My icing separated a lil bit and wasn't nearly as thick as Deb's but still was a tasty addition to the cake. 

Maybe I was a bit of an overachiever on Wednesday, but I also made a watermelon and feta salad. I'd always been a lil skeptical about the combination of watermelon + feta. Stinky cheese and fruit? 
I browsed a few recipes and created a combo of several recipes. The verdict on watermelon + feta? Not too bad. It's refreshing and the saltiness from the cheese adds a nice something something to the salad. 

Watermelon + Feta Salad
1. Cube watermelon
2. Cut up and add fresh mint
3. Sprinkle feta on top
4. Spritz on some lime juice 
5. Mix and enjoy! 


Post a Comment