All the Hullabaloo

July 23, 2012

Having been away from cupcaking in Chicago for almost a year, I was totally unaware that Magnolia Bakery had opened in Chicago last October. This is THE bakery that started the cupcake craze once it was mentioned on Sex and the City over a decade ago. I've heard tales of people standing in super long lines just to get their hands on the most sought-after cupcake. Well, I knew I had to try it out ASAP. 
located at: 108 N. State Street, The Loop, Chicago, Illinois
Any bakery with that much hype must have the goods to back up its reputation. I had high hopes for these cupcakes. So, naturally, I dragged my sistas there after we had an amazing lunch at my favorite place in the Loop: the 7th floor of Macy's. Yep, you read that right. The food court in Macy's. It's so unique in that they have food counters from super chefs like Rick Bayless and Marcus Samuelsson (both Top Chef Masters Winners). Amazing food at not so high prices. Extra bonus: you get a great view of State Street. 

Anyway, back to the cupcakes. They have about six flavors each day and two daily specialty flavors. I decided on the S'mores cupcake which was $3.50 (a high price for a chain bakery AND for the small size of the cupcake). 
Well, how was the cupcake? I'm just gonna come right out and say it. 
Does not live up to the hype
While the cupcake did pass the squish test, it certainly was not moist. It was oddly crumbly and the outside was crusty and crunchy. The cake did taste like a chocolate chip cookie, just like my cupcake at Publican Quality Meats, kinda salty and chocolatey, in a good way but it was supposed to be graham cracker flavored, hmm. The frosting was super tasty & light and was just the texture of marshmallow fluff. So yay for frosting, nay for cake texture. And nay for price. 

It was a fairly decent cupcake but why all the craze for these cupcakes? 

Post a Comment