2 Minute Cake

April 7, 2012

The other day while bumming around Twin Sista's apartment, I found an interesting recipe in the culinary magazine Lucky Peach (from the culinary master, David Chang). Twin Sista and her bf are quite the foodies. They have several subscriptions to food magazines and have a vast collection of cookbooks. I think that they should be the ones writing about their culinary adventures since they are so ambitious in the kitchen and have fed me many delicious meals on many occasions.  

Back to the recipe. There was an article chronicling the molten chocolate cake. They mentioned this particular cake, which I can say I was a big fan of back in college. Lucky Peach ended the article with a 2 minute alternative for the Betty Crocker version. Any night you start to think, Oh chocolate cake would be soooo good right now, now you could be just several minutes away from one!  

I took a quick pic of the recipe on my phone so I could recreate the quick cake anytime at home. Today, I was surprised with a care package from Sista Min, which consisted of a cupcake recipe box. I took the opportunity to use my first recipe card and jot down the recipe for the cake. 
Anxious to try out the recipe, I gathered all the ingredients (minus chocolate chips, didn't have any on hand) and quickly whisked up the cake. After two eagerly awaited minutes, I had chocolate cake waiting for me in my mug.
The cake isn't the best cake I've ever had but it will definitely satisfy a chocolate cake craving if I'm ever too lazy to bake one or drive myself over to the grocery store for a pre-made one. It's a lil spongey. And I don't think I mixed it so well. I'm thinking that chocolate chips would have made all the difference too. 

Hey, if you have a few minutes, try out this cake! Chocolate cake in no time! 

Two-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake from Lucky Peach
Ingredients:
1 egg
3 Tbs Milk
3 Tbs Neutral Oil
3 Tbs Flour
4 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs Cocoa Powder
3 Tbs Chocolate Chips
Small Splash of Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt
1 Small or Medium Coffee Mug (Microwave Safe)

Directions:
Add wet ingredients (including egg) to mug and mix well. Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add the chocolate chips and vanilla and mix well. Place mug into 1000-watt microwave for 2 minutes. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed. Allow to cool and tip onto plate if desired. EAT!
Serves one. 

Post a Comment